From Caitlin —
Arbor Aid celebrates the possibilities presented to us by trees as resources within our city and region, and is a fund raising event for Friends of the Pittsburgh Urban Forest. Rather than chip or log urban trees that need to be removed, Friends of the Pittsburgh Urban Forest encourages giving them a longer life by repurposing them as art, furniture, flooring and everything in between. Arbor Aid showcases artwork both decorative and functional created from salvaged wood. This year’s event, Reveal encourages artists to reveal the beauty of urban trees. Friends of the Pittsburgh Urban Forest also hopes that artists are able to play with the theme in a variety of ways.
This year’s event is special as we both mark a new chapter in our organization’s history with the unveiling of our new name and logo as well as honor the memory of our dear friend and supporter, John Metzler, creator of the Urban Tree Forge.
About Friends of the Pittsburgh Urban Forest
Friends of the Pittsburgh Urban Forest is an environmental non-profit whose mission is to protect and restore the urban tree population in the City of Pittsburgh through tree planting and maintenance, education, and advocacy.
Interested artists meeting: Tuesday August 10th, 6:30pm @ Urban Tree Forge, 1004 Washington Blvd.
If you cannot make this meeting, but want to submit, contact Caitlin, below.
1. All artists who intend to participate must contact Caitlin Lenahan at 412-362-6360 or Caitlin@pittsburghforest.org . There will be one or two meetings regarding resources for materials, and other resources available to artists who would like to participate in Arbor Aid.
2. There will be space for a limited number of larger scale installations. Please let Caitlin know if you plan to create an installation or display a larger work.
3. The artist assumes all responsibility for obtaining materials and costs associated with creating their piece(s) for Arbor Aid. Artwork does not have to be created solely for Arbor Aid, but does need to include salvaged wood.
4. So that we can ensure that all submissions will be granted adequate space, in-progress photos and measurements of submissions must be given to Friends no later than October 1st. Installation of artwork in the event space will be during a limited time the week of October 25th. The event is Friday October 29th, 2010.
5. Artists are permitted and encouraged to sell their piece(s) at Arbor Aid. Friends of the Pittsburgh Urban Forest will retain 10% of the sales and donate it to the Urban Tree Forge in honor of John Metzler. Artists may donate a larger portion of the sale if they chose.
6. All participating artists will receive one (1) ticket to the event for free.
To see some images from Arbor Aid 2009, see www.pittsburghforest.org/arboraid . If you have any questions about the event, please contact Caitlin at 412-362-6360 or Caitlin@pittsburghforest.org.