The first Honorary Polish Consulate was named in Pittsburgh in 1918, along with Honorary Consulates in New York City and Chicago. T
This year, Dr. Jan Saykiewicz was named as the Honorary Polish Consulate here in Pittsburgh, reviving the designation after it ended in 1945. According to the Duquesnes University site —
Saykiewicz, who has lived in the United States since 1987, is one of Poland’s 15 honorary consuls in the United States. An official consulate general of the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs was established in Pittsburgh in 1918 and operated until 1945. It was the third consulate founded in the U.S., after New York and Chicago. Read the press release.
Dr. Saykiewicz, a Fulbright Scholar, is one of fifteen consulates in the entire United States. The work of the consulate will be conducted at Saykiewicz’s Squirrel Hill home as well as his office at Duquesne, Room 825, Rockwell Hall.