There aren’t many photos of the stores that used to line the streets of Polish Hill, and this is the first photo we’ve seen of the interior of a business. This is Anton Jaworski’s butcher shop at Dobson and Hancock streets, the space that is now Lili Cafe. The men in the picture, from left to right, are: (unknown), Joe Jaworski (Anton’s son), Michael Anthony Jaworski (Anton’s eldest son) and back in the doorway is Anton Jaworski, in a suit. Anton was born in 1870 and Michael Jaworski (right front) was born in 1899, so this photo might have been taken around 1930.
This building was also featured in the November 2010 issue of the Polish Hill Voice, in the article “True Crime Tales from Polish Hill” which tells the tale of a less-upstanding member of the community. Here’s a link to that issue — the article is on page 6.
We were able to see this wonderful photo because Katie Jaworski, great great granddaughter of Anton, shared this photo with Carol Peterson of Pittsburgh House Histories. Carol is a historian and researcher and author — she co-wrote Allegheny City, a book about the history of the North Side, with Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney. Here’s an article about the book from the Post-Gazette.