Assistance for those in need

A couple quick reminders to all of our readers —

The Pennsylvania Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps low income people pay their heating bills through home heating energy assistance grants and crisis grants. You can receive this money without being in the Cash Assistance program — a family of four with an annual income of up to $35,280 can qualify for assistance.

The fastest way to apply is through COMPASS, the online resource for cash assistance, food stamps, help with child care, health care coverage, home heating assistance (LIHEAP), school meals, SelectPlan for Women and long-term living services.

For more information, please contact Allegheny County Department of Human Services,1-800-851-3838 or contact the LIHEAP hotline at 1-866-857-7095, Monday through Friday (individuals with hearing impairments may call the TDD number at 1-800-451-5886). You can also reference our previous post about this program.

On another timely note; the final deadline for the 2009 Property Tax and Rent Rebate application is December 31st. The Pennsylvania Property Tax and Rent Rebate Program provides property tax relief for senior citizens, widows and widowers over 50 years old, and disabled adults. The funds are available for households that make up to $35,000 per year. Applicants may also exempt half of their Social Security when calculating their total income. This vital program provides a maximum rebate of $975 to eligible applicants. A rebate of up to $650 is available for renters who make up to $15,000. More information about the program is available on the Pennsylvania State site.

Any resident looking for more information or to complete an application can also contact Senator Ferlo’s office at 412-621-3006.

State Senator Jim Ferlo
3519 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
Ph: 412-621-3006