We just found out about this great new program from Construction Junction’s weekly e-blast and are taking the liberty of re-posting it:
Do you have an old refrigerator cooling a few items in your basement or garage? Did you know it may be using up to four times the electricity of a new model? With all that leftover energy, you could save up to $150 a year on your electric bill.
Duquesne Light’s Watt Choices program will pay you $35 to recycle that old, energy-wasting refrigerator or freezer and will haul it away at no charge. You’ll receive your rebate check within six weeks of pickup. Our program partner, JACO Environmental, will break down your old refrigerator and 95 percent of the components will be recycled. Reducing your energy use also reduces the need for more power plants as well as the environmental impact of energy generation.
There are a few requirements for program participation:
1. This program is available to Duquesne Light residential customers on a first-come, first-served basis until funding is expended.
2. The refrigerator must be clean and empty on the day of pick up, and in working condition.
3. The unit must meet the size requirement, which is 10 cu ft – 30 cu ft.
4. You must have an active electric account with Duquesne Light at the address where you would like us to pick up the refrigerator.
5. There is a limit of two (2) units per customer address per calendar year.
6. You must provide clear and safe access to your appliances for the removal team. They will not risk injury or be able to move personal effects or modify your home (e.g.: remove door or railings) to remove the unit(s).
In addition to your $35 recycling incentive, if you have purchased a new refrigerator or freezer after 11/30/2009, you can obtain an appliance rebate application for your new purchase.