Tax credits available for emergency response volunteers

State Sen. Jim Ferlo (D-Pittsburgh) announced today that $100 state income tax credits are available to active volunteer firefighters, volunteer ambulance personnel and rescue-company personnel.

“These men and women provide critical services that we have come to rely on in times of need,” Ferlo said. “This tax credit is a wonderful way to say how much we appreciate the services they provide.”

Ferlo added that eligibility for the tax credit is based on a point system. Responders accumulate points through things such as the number of calls responded to by a volunteer, training and participation in drills and time spent on administration, maintenance of facilities and equipment and support activities.

Responders must have earned a total of 50 points between Jan. 1, 2008 and Dec. 31, 2008. The application must be signed by the primary volunteer company’s president or chief certify. The form should be filed with the first responder’s state income tax return.

“PA Schedule OC-V” and “Schedule OC” forms are available through Ferlo’s website, These forms can also be obtained by calling the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue at 1-800-362-20. For those who want to file their returns by mail, the Revenue Department has established a special mailing address for tax credit-eligible volunteers: PA Department of Revenue, Volunteer Tax Credit, P.O.Box 280400, Harrisburg, PA 17128-0400.